Our facial appearance is something that influences our everyday lives to a great extent. Particularly, the aesthetics of our smile is of prime importance in this regard. However, making sure the appearance of our smile is pleasing is a task in itself. Several hurdles, such as cavities, discoloration of teeth, oral trauma, gum disease, malocclusion, etc. stand in our way.
Out of all the oral issues, malocclusion is perhaps one of the most commonly encountered one. It is mostly influenced by a person’s heredity, meaning, if your parents had malocclusion, you are most likely to have it as well. Worry not! Dr. Michael Choi is one of the best dentists in Irvine, CA, and has treated hundreds of patients with malocclusion over the past few years. He would diagnose you thoroughly and suggest the perfect treatment method.
What is Invisalign?
When it comes to treating malocclusion, Invisalign is known to be the most advanced and aesthetically pleasing option. Invisalign is a mouthguard-like oral appliance that has to be worn on the teeth for the most part of the day. It is made from dental-grade plastic material and helps to move the teeth as desired to get rid of the malocclusion.
What are the advantages of Invisalign?
- Invisalign is a removable aligner. Whenever you have to eat food, drink, or brush your teeth, you can take off the aligners with ease and put them back on later.
- Since the aligners are made from clear plastic material, they are hardly noticeable. Anyone who sees you talk or smile wouldn’t be able to easily notice them. However, they would be visible upon closer observation.
- Invisalign is absolutely metal-free. It has no wires or brackets as in the case of metal braces.
- The chances of the soft tissues getting injured due to the aligners during oral trauma are next to none.
- You can stick to your regular diet while undergoing treatment with Invisalign. There’s no need to compromise on certain hard or sticky foods as in the case of braces.
- Frequent visits to the dentist’s clinic aren’t required.
Invisalign treatment would be divided into several stages. A different set of aligners will be given for each stage of the treatment. During the initial visit, the dentist would take scans and x-rays of the teeth to map out their positions and determine the type and severity of the malocclusion. A digital mold of the teeth will be taken and sent to a dental laboratory where the different aligners will be fabricated.
Once they are done, the dentist will give you the first set of aligners and take you through their usage. There are certain things you should follow while undergoing Invisalign treatment. Some of them are:
- The aligners will have to be worn for at least 22 hours every day. You can take them off only while eating or brushing the teeth. They will have to be worn even while sleeping.
- Before putting the aligners back on, ensure no food particles are stuck in between the teeth as it could affect the treatment procedure.
- Do not chew on the aligners as their shape could be disturbed.
- Ask your dentist for a new set of aligners once every 2 weeks.
Call us at 949-786-2820 or schedule an online appointment with Dr. Michael Choi, one of the best dentists in Irvine, CA, and we’d be happy to help.