Missing tooth is a common problem. This might happen due to tooth decay or an injury which makes it necessary to replace the missing teeth. The best and efficient option to restrain this problem is by replacing missing teeth with implants. Implants are artificial roots that are fixed into the jawbone surgically, in the space created by missing tooth/teeth. It can hold either a prosthetic tooth or series of teeth in its place. This is how implants function, just like your natural tooth root.
How can a missing tooth affect?
When there forms a space in your teeth due to missing teeth, then the opposite tooth tends to grow to try and meet another tooth on the other side. This might result in irregular growth of teeth in the mouth. Not only that, you might feel uncomfortable while eating as the teeth aren’t meeting and grinding the way they used to.
Your jawbone can be affected by missing teeth. Irregular chewing can lead to bone loss affecting the alignment of the teeth and the way your face looks.
If you have missing teeth in the front, then you might feel awkward and shy, even to smile as you might be uncomfortable and thinking that you look funny.
When should one seek implants?
The best thing about dental implants is that they are more permanent and make you feel comfortable. Let’s see when should you seek implants:
- If you have missing teeth, then you are apt for dental implants. It will be best for your teeth and yourself. First of all, the dentist will assess your teeth and check if it’s possible to fit implants in the gap.
- In some cases, you might need dental implants, even before the loss of a tooth, especially if you have broken teeth. As, it is hard to save broken teeth, so most likely they are removed.
- If any tooth starts getting tilted towards the gap set by a missing tooth, then you should seek a dentist to avoid further problems, and the dentist will suggest whether implants are necessary in your case or not.
What is the procedure of dental implants?
In the beginning, your teeth and gap made by missing teeth where the implant is to be placed are assessed; once the dentist finds out what you need, the implant fixation proceeds. Then it is placed in the jaw bone and waited until its healing. Soon after that the bone starts growing over the implant to make it firm. This might take up to 12 weeks. The dentist will set up a crown or a tooth molded to fit in the gap that is made in a way that they mimic the natural teeth. Hence, it is fixed with the implants.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
Here, there are some benefits to dental implants:
- Once the space created by missing tooth gets filled, and implants get placed, then it becomes easy for you to eat.
- Implants are much more comfortable and durable than any other option.
- You will be able to speak clearly, as it will improve your conversing and pronunciation skills.
- Implants can last for a lifetime if they are maintained well; this makes them worth the investment.
- Your smile can be returned to you covering the spaces in your teeth that once made you self-conscious.
Do implants have any restrictions?
Anyone healthy can have this procedure done. You should have healthy gums and sufficient bone mass to have the implants fitted in your mouth. But somehow, some people might have to go through more tests to verify if the treatment is safe for them.
Smokers or people who have heart problems or diabetes or people who have undergone cancer treatment for the head are the ones who need more tests to be done.
How do implants improve oral health?
Dental implants improve oral health in the following ways:
- Dental implants are much more comfortable and functional, just like your natural teeth.
- They help in retaining the bone density.
- They give self-confidence to those who were once shy because of the space in their teeth. Now, they can smile without any worries about what others think.
- They improve your oral health, as they prevent misalignment of the teeth due to those once existing gaps.
- They reduce the risk of teeth or gum diseases.
- They can be maintained just like your natural teeth.
What is the success rate of this treatment?
Now you don’t have to doubt the procedure. It has been reported that the success rate of implants is about 98%, which makes it quite promising.
Find the best remedy for your missing teeth by requesting an appointment with Dr. Choi at (949) 786-2820 to acquire your Implants.